You have been asked to write an article about puns for your school linguistic magazine.
In your article:
- explain what puns are and how they work;
- analyze one of the puns below, explaining why it is funny:
- A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was, a nurse said “No change yet”.
- It was an emotional wedding. Even the cake was in tiers.
- A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it.
- Why don’t programmers like nature? It has too many bugs.
- The short fortune teller who escaped from prison was a small medium at large.
- He had a photographic memory that was never developed.
Write about 200–250 words.